Why and how participating in Proficiency Testing Programs ?
The basic purpose of proficiency testing is to assess the performance of laboratories for their conduct of specific test, measurements or calibrations. Many laboratories operate in isolation from other laboratories and do not have ongoing opportunities to compare their data with others. Without such opportunities there are risks that a laboratory’s data may have errors, biases or significant differences compared to similar laboratories.
Proficiency testing provides an opportunity to undertake such comparisons and to have an independent appraisal of the laboratory’s data compared to reference values (or other performance criteria) or to the performance of similar laboratories. The results from such participation provide laboratory managers with either a confirmation that the laboratory’s performance is satisfactory or an alert that an investigation of potential problems within the laboratory is required.
Find out more on the benefits for laboratories participating in Proficiency Testing Programs with ILAC's brochure : The benefits of participating in PT .
Go to the list of proficiency testing programs :
- LNE programs (calibration) ;
- LNE programs 2017-2022 (metrology) ;
- european programs : IMEP (International Measurement Evaluation Programme), NUSIMEP (Nuclear Signatures Interlaboratory Measurement Evaluation Programme), REIMEP (Regular European Interlaboratory Measurement Evaluation Programme) and EURLs (European Union Reference Laboratories).
Find a proficiency testing laboratory :
- bodies accredited by Cofrac ;
- international bodies : EPTIS (European Proficiency Testing Information System).